Life's BANANAS, and I'm just trying to "unpeel" it's mysteries...
(You, you see what I did there? My nickname is Hannah Banana, and I mention bananas, so "unpeel"... Oh never mind)

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Work and fun: An oxymoron?

** Names have been changed to protect the innocent (and the guilty too!) **

I don't usually use the words "work" and "fun" in the same sentence. Lately, I feel like I've complained a little too much about work. The building itself was built in the 50's, and is somewhat depressing (see photographic evidence below)


When I started there (originally in 1999), it had a very wacky, goofy atmosphere. :-P

Case in point... the "Gummy Bear incident" of 2003!!! One of the postdocs, we'll call her, uh, "Mary", is a very funny lady from France (she's Parisian AND Persian). "Mary" enjoys bubble wrap (which I give to her when we get shipments) and gummy bears!!

At some point, the gummies "Mary" had were...

BEAR-NAPPED! *dun-dun-dun*

She received the following image:



along with a ransom demand!

"Mary" ran around like a maniac, interrogating everyone. She even accused "Jane", the sweetest "mom" to everyone there. "Mary" was panicked, and of course we all were trying to keep straight faces, while snickering behind her back. The real culprit shall remain nameless, but needless to say "Mary" didn't suspect this person - as she said in her lovely accent, "no, no, no, it cannot be "Mr./Mrs. X" - he/she is too busy to do this mean thing". ;-P

Of course there were other incidents (a few examples):

** When "Scott M" gave "Jane" a Playgirl magazine wrapped in black tissue paper as a Secret Santa gift...

** When "Marianne" went around whacking people with a large, pink, plastic bat... and no that is NOT a euphemism...

** When "Jane" ranted about everyone laying claim to the colored sharpies used to enter experiments on the schedule - leaving her with the Black sharpie (uh, yes, she is African American). It was shortly after I started working there, and I was afraid she was serious!


I have my memories (and "Mary", "Marianne", "Jane", and "Peggy" are still there). It's not as wacky, but thankfully it is still "nerdy" - Cathryn's beta-cell birthday cake


for one of the guys being the most recent example (if you're interested, this is what a beta-cell is)... I may have to take matters into my own hands to bring back the wackiness. I'm thinking of using some bubble wrap... duct tape... maybe some pipettes (actual prank to be determined). Be warned! ;-P

P.S. Yes, her gummies were returned...
P.P.S.  Since Cathryn was not around during those wacky days, I did not really feel the need to give her a fake name.  However, if she really wants one, she'll get one.  From now on, you may call her, uh, "Cat"!...

No comments:

Post a Comment